Though it's a bit late in April to be providing it, I thought it might be a good idea to put this information out there on a monthly basis for newbies starting their own Victory Gardens, urban homesteads, and organic front yard and back yard gardens. I've taken the information from Tom MacCubbin's, The Edible Landscape, which is now out of print.
South Florida Vegetable Planting Guide* and Gardening Tasks: April
- Plant beans (Shelling: Bush 40, Pole 20; Snap: Bush 50, Pole 20), cantaloupes (6), cherry tomatoes, cucumbers (3-4), eggplant (2-3), okra (8-12), peppers (3-5), squash (4-6), Southern peas (15-20), sweet potatoes (5-10), calabazas, chayotes, yard-long beans and other tropical crops.
- Plant anise, basil, chives, dill, borage, oregano, mint, rosemary, sage, savory, sweet marjoram and thyme.
- Trim banana foliage and fertilize monthly.
- Fertilize trees, shrubs and vines planted earlier.
- Fertilize container gardens weekly.
Let me know if you'd like me to continue this. I'll do it on a monthly basis at the beginning of every month.